Sunday, June 7, 2020

Film+Community Service


Gene Siskel Film Center | Loop Chicago

In October 2019 I volunteered at the Chicago Film Festival. In order to become a volunteer I attended a training session at Columbia College that discussed the different volunteer roles there are and what you do in one. One of the roles that I had there was counting each person that came into the theater with this little clicker they gave me. I can't lie, it was kind of fun. I also occasionally took tickets and voting sheets from viewers of each film. In my second shift, I was in charge of lighting and greeting each person who walked into the theater. I also helped with seating people and telling them where to go.

The best part about volunteering at the Chicago Film Festival was the fact that we got to watch the movies when there was nothing to do for a couple of hours. We also got free popcorn and movie tickets to some movies playing at the festival. I would definitely do community service like this again because I really like movies, and it was pretty flexible and easy-going.

Around the end of November, I also got a P.I.E (Professional Immersion Experience) at the Gene Siskel FIlm center. While I was there I helped with some media marketing and busy office work like filling envelopes, making phone calls, and data entry work. I would also post movie events and dates on the Gene Siskel Facebook page. Later that winter, I asked if I could come back to get some volunteer hours and it was approved by my supervisor Lori. When I was volunteering there I basically had the same responsibilities as I did when I was an intern. It felt really good to be back because I enjoyed the work environment at the film center along with the people who worked there. Everyone was kind and had really good energy.

Gene Siskel Film Center - Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lit. Review: Human Pressures and Ecosystems

In the course Frontiers, I pushed myself to think of innovative strategies that could change the future of oceans. Through this last unit, ...